Winter Wellness: 5 Tips to Boost Your Immune System
The most frequently asked question in December and January is always "How do I boost my immune system?" I actually love this question because I spent several years working to strengthen my own immune system (and that of my kids). After experiencing severe adrenal fatigue, and doing a really poor job of caring for my health for years, I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. The late nights with kids who were always sick wasn't helping me get any closer to improving my own health or overcoming my adrenal fatigue so strengthening our immune systems was a must!
It took lots of research, lots of trial and error, but in time we did see the results we were hoping for!
Here are my top 5 tips to boost your immune system this winter.
1. This is probably the simplest, but most overlooked piece of the immune puzzle. Sleep. If you are getting inadequate sleep and constantly running on caffeine and adrenaline your immune system will remain taxed. I'm not saying you need to get 10 hours of sleep a night. In fact, that's probably more than you need. But you should shoot for at least 6 and at most 8 on a consistent basis. Consistency is key. You can't make up for multiple nights of inadequate sleep with one marathon sleep. If you struggle to fall asleep or stay asleep and would like some natural solutions there are lots of proven tools you can use. I counsel A LOT of clients with sleep struggles and we've seen some fabulous results.
2. Everyone hates to hear this, but if you want to boost your immune system you have to take an honest look at your diet. Here are the keys: limit your sugar intake, significantly. Trash the sodas and cut back on your daily Starbucks runs. (I know, I know, but you can do it!) Limit the amount of processed foods you're eating. You need real food to feed your immune system. It just can't run on crap. It's as simple as that. So eat fruits and vegetables with every meal. Swap your venti for a tall and ask them to put just 1 pump of syrup (if you must). Write down what you eat and drink (be honest) for 2 days and look at it with an open mind. Where can you do better? If you don't know. Email me and I'll help you give it a clean eating makeover.
3. Drink more water. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. This is how we flush the toxins and junk out and how we lubricate our organs so they can function effectively. If you're dehydrated (and many, many people are) you're immune system will not function optimally. You'll look older, feel tired, have difficult digesting and therefore difficulty absorbing the nutrients you need from you cleaner diet and you'll just be making your life harder for no good reason. So drink up!
4. Just about everyone can benefit from the addition of high quality supplements. We eat extremely clean, get plenty of rest (most nights) and drink our water, but every member of my family is on a daily supplement plan. The highlights during the winter months are vitamin D and vitamin C, probiotics and fish oil. I also love elderberry syrup. I'm hoping to try my hand at making my own soon, but right now I still buy it online. I do a lot of research on my supplements because they are NOT all created equally. We use Metagenics liquid vitamin D3, Lypo-Spheric vitamin C (for my husband and I) and our kids take Child Life liquid vitamin C, a high quality Probiotic (we all use doTERRA's) and a high quality fish oil. My husband and I get ours from our doTERRA vitamin packs and our kids take doTERRA's IQ Omega. If you have questions about our supplements or would like help ordering yours don't hesitate to reach out.
5. Because our immune systems were so weak we found essential oils were extremely helpful in supporting our bodies as we worked to enhance our immune function. We made up a happy little roller bottle of Protective Blend and Frankincense mixed with fractionated coconut oil and we apply that to the bottom of our feet or down our spines every morning and every night. If you're interested in learning more about essential oils email me for my online and in person class schedule or to set up a private consult.
That's what worked for us. If you're struggling with immune health I'd love to help. Check back for more detailed posts on enhancing and supporting your immune system or reach out with your questions via email or my Facebook page.